Migrating to Failover

Norman Elton normelton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 19:57:00 UTC 2009

Thanks for your note...

> it would mean surgery to dhcpd.leases every time, while the server is
> offline and not answering queries.  so you are going to have an
> extended outage either way.

But how bad is this surgery? Let's say I'm migrating a particular
subnet (192.168.1.0/24) to the new server. I've already isolated all
the leases from the old server. Within a relatively short amount of
time, 30 seconds or so, I copy those out of the existing server,
shutdown both the new servers, append those leases to the existing
lease file on both servers, add the subnet configuration to both the
config files, and fire up the two cluster members.

As I understand it, when a lease is active, it is not "owned" by
either server, so it shouldn't make a difference that it's in both
lease files.

Or will the servers be angry when they come back online with these
foreign leases?

Thanks again,

Norman