Garbage collection?

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Thu Sep 10 16:37:13 UTC 2009

David W. Hankins wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 09:30:47AM -0500, Peter Laws wrote:
>> Exactly what we did - 3600 to 1800.  May yet drop it to 900.
>
> be careful driving the lease time too low.  the lower the lease time,
> the greater the dhcp activity due to renewals.

Roger that.  So far, we're not seeing issues with 1800 s as the lease time.
    Besides DHCP for the WiFi pool (and several land-line networks) the
only other thing the system does is DNS slavery and time so it's not too
terribly busy.

> if you can identify the problematic clients (iphones) in a class
> statement, you can lower the lease time for those clients
> specifically, keeping your avg-lease-time higher.

And if Apple used a specific OUI range for iPhones/iPod Touches, we would
happily do that (how does that "deny" keyword work again??? :-).
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case.  If anyone knows
different, please, speak up!!

Thanks.

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY