Over-running gc_thresh3

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Thu Sep 3 19:37:29 UTC 2009

Had to plumb up a new interface on the DHCP server (running
dhcp-3.0.1-10.2_EL3 - I know, old and bad on several counts!) and it's now
directly exposed to a network with /19 hungry clients.

So, we're overrunning the above-named kernel threshold, which is defaulted
to 1024 (high-water mark for ARP table entries for those of you who, like
me at this time yesterday, had never heard of that variable).

Any suggestions on what this should be bumped to?  It's exposed to a /19,
so 8k+ potential clients (we're running around 7k leases) so 1024 isn't
enough and we get this stuff:

Sep  3 13:21:24 $HOST dhcpd: send_packet: No buffer space available

... And ...

Sep  3 13:21:21 love kernel: Neighbour table overflow.

... when the water gets high enough.

I don't think it needs to go to 8192, because I've been watching the ARP
cache and it only hits 1024 every few hours.  Would 2048 be enough?

I'm assuming I can just echo the new value to the kernel, but will it make
anything hiccup or just up the thresholds (there are actually three
variables that need updating)?

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws at ou.edu