DHCP problem in a complex scenario with lease events

Brian Raaen braaen at zcorum.com
Tue Oct 20 16:09:42 UTC 2009

Instead of parsing the leases file you may want to investigate the new
"execute" configuration action in dhcpd 3.1.  Here is a snip of the dhcp-eval
man page

execute (command-path [, data-expr1, ... data-exprN]);

         The execute statement runs an external command.  The first argument
is a string literal containing  the  name  or path  of  the  command  to run.
The other arguments, if present, are either string literals or data-
expressions
         which evaluate to text strings, to be passed as command-line
arguments to the command.

         execute is synchronous; the program will block until the external
command being run has  finished.   Please  note that  lengthy  program
execution (for example, in an "on commit" in dhcpd.conf) may result in bad
performance and timeouts.  Only external applications with very short
execution times are suitable for use.

         Passing user-supplied data to an external application might be
dangerous.  Make  sure  the  external  application checks  input  buffers  for
validity.  Non-printable ASCII characters will be converted into dhcpd.conf
language
         octal escapes ("777"), make sure your external command handles them
as such.

         It is possible to use the execute statement in any context, not only
on events. If you put it in a regular  scope in the configuration file you
will execute that command every time a scope is evaluated.

Hope this is able to help.
--

----------------------

Brian Raaen
Network Engineer
braaen at zcorum.com

On Tuesday 20 October 2009, Christian Loth wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I stumbled upon a showstopper for a rather complex software system I'm
> developing using DHCP as one of the components. Please excuse any awkward
> language - I'm not a native speaker.
>
> This software is a network management application that deals with untrusted
> network clients. Each client is assigned its individual IP address via DHCP.
> Network clients are identified by their MAC addresses.
>
> Users can log into a web application where they can change their clients'
MAC