Omapi issues

Matej matej at matnet.net
Tue Oct 6 13:31:00 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am working on a system which already has classes with 'match-hardware' and a lot of subclass "classname" 1:macaddress; lines to select between pools for different devices. Now I am planning to upgrade the system and add new hosts (that are not in the existing system) and put them into classes via vendor-class-identifier. Now the problem is, that also the existing devices have the same vendor-class identifier.
So my idea is to simply keep that subclass entries for all the already existing devices and create a new class with vendor-id. I have some questions about that:

- will the existing devices that are identified via subclass MAC entries be identified successfully although another class will be on the of the configuration file where there will be the same vendor-id for the devices that are not added yet?

- when I add a new host via omshell with
set hardware-address, set hardware-type, set known=1 and set group, I can see in leases file that a host entry exists with some strange chars before the "host" word:

^@^@^... @host nh1234444333 {
  dynamic;
  hardware unknown-0 00:11:22:33:44:55;
  group "newGroup";
}

and then after some time the lease appears:
lease IP {
  starts 2 2009/10/06 12:23:15;
  ends 2 2009/10/06 12:40:41;
  tstp 2 2009/10/06 12:40:41;
  binding state free;
  hardware ethernet 00:11:22:33:44:55;
  uid "\001\...";
}

Are those ^@ combinations normal? and is normal to have a host defined in a leases file?

I have been bugging with this for some time now and I can't seem to find a solution.

TIA.
Matej