Can you Force DDNS names to Lower Case?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Nov 13 19:42:27 UTC 2009

	Is it possible to cause dynamic DNS name registrations
to always be in lower case? This is normally not a problem, but
it makes trouble-shooting interesting at times when clients give
their system a name like Bobs-PC which resolves, of course, to
bobs-pc.

	We set up some private networks with default domain
names of wifi-atrc or wifi-su for certain buildings on our
campus and I am seeing names like WiFi-ATRC.osu in zone
transfers. I am mystified as to how the names are becoming
mixed-case again. I might expect the host part of the name to be
mixed-case, but one would expect the forward lookup of the
default domain name to be whatever one set it to be. I have
checked more than once to make sure that
A.  We have the right names in our dhcpd.conf file and
B.  Dhcpd was started recently so is not running on an old
configuration.

	Here is an example of one of the problem networks. We
have several others that never seem to show mixed-case domain
names.

subnet 10.193.16.0 netmask 255.255.248.0 {
#wifi-atrc
option subnet-mask 255.255.248.0;
option routers 10.193.23.254;
ddns-updates on;
option domain-name "wifi-atrc.osu";
option broadcast-address 10.193.23.255;
default-lease-time 14400;
max-lease-time 14400;
 pool {
deny dynamic bootp clients;
failover peer "stw";
range 10.193.16.64 10.193.23.223;
}
} #end network 10.193.16.0

	This particular zone is loaded with WiFi-ATRC.osu names.

Thanks for any ideas.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer