Assigning a Fixed IP Address Based on dhcp-client-identifier

Scott Coleman swarga.research at gmail.com
Tue May 19 18:41:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Glen R. J. Neff <neff_glen at emc.com> wrote:

>    This is kind of counter-intuitive, and I've fought with this before,
but
>    static assignments need to be outside your scope.

Glen,

I'm not sure what you mean here. The hosts are already declared at the
outermost scope.

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:22 AM, David W. Hankins <David_Hankins at isc.org>wrote:

> >We should probably warn on this condition, but these host records
> >of yours have neither of the two clauses that are used to find
> >matches;
> >
> >       hardware [htype] [mac];
> >       uid [dhcp-client-identifier contents];

David,

I added uids to the host records but the server still reports no free
leases. Do I have the syntax correct? I don't see any reference to a uid
keyword in the man page for dhcpd.conf.

host pos_30
{
  option dhcp-client-identifier "\0pos_30";
  option host-name "pos_30";
  uid "\0pos_30";
  fixed-address 10.24.7.30;
}

host pos_31
{
  option dhcp-client-identifier "\0pos_31";
  option host-name "pos_31";
  uid "\0pos_31";
  fixed-address 10.24.7.31;
}