4.1.0 bug? Fedora bug? "No subnet declaration for eth0 (10.11.12.1)."

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Mon May 18 19:25:33 UTC 2009

On 05/16/2009 06:04 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 09:28:27PM +0100, A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
>>> I'm a veteran dhcp user here trying to configure 4.1.0 for the first
>>> time from scratch on Fedora 11.  Unless I missed something, this
>>> config file should work:
>> just a very quick stab in the dark....is dhcpd actually
>> reading *your* dhcpd.conf - it looks like it just might not be.
>>
>> run dhcpd specifying your dhcpd.conf (or use strace to see what
>> dhcpd.conf file its actually reading!)
>
> Geez...its always the simple things.  Somewhere along the line, Fedora
> changed the default location to be /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf, and of course
> I had put the configuration in /etc/dhcpd.conf.  Once I moved the file
> to the correct location, everything started working fine.
>
> Thanks for the hint!

Yes, I did that in an effort to unclutter /etc a bit.  The dhcp packages
had too many files just in /etc, so I collected them all under /etc/dhcp.

Upgrading from previous dhcp packages in Fedora using rpm or yum will
preserve the existing files (e.g., /etc/dhcpd.conf), and create symlinks
in /etc/dhcp.  However, on fresh installs, the sample file provided by
the package now goes to /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf.

Sorry for the confusion.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI