dhcp option 226 and 227

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue Mar 31 13:01:41 UTC 2009

Hi Dwayne

What sort of device is the client? There's a lot of experience on this
list - someone may know... In fact I bet someone can tell just from
knowing the option numbers.

Aha, looks like an Avaya phone thingy? I saw the post with the array of
integer here. There's a lot of duplication in his config (eg setting
the option variables in the subnet, and the host scope).

http://www.avayausers.com/showthread.php?p=48119

I also found this, and it says both options 226 and 227 are an ip address.

http://www.ipofficeinfo.com/pdf/Global_IP_Office_Technical_Bulletin_85.pdf

However, 4 x 8 bit integers get stored the same way as an ip address
(32 bit integer), so either "should" work, although using a type of
ip-address is "more correct" I feel.

In dhcp 3 and 4 you can give arbitrary names to options too, eg:

option avaya-server code 226 = ip-address;
option avaya-syslog code 227 = ip-address;

option avaya-server = 10.40.0.29;
option avaya-syslog = 10.40.0.29;

HTH.

regards,