Update procedure

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Thu Mar 26 21:33:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 04:18:36PM -0400, David Coulthart wrote:
> What would the update procedure look like if you need to do an upgrade from
> 3.0.x to 4.1.x?  If I upgrade one server to 4.1.x without taking down the
> second one still running 3.0.x (so I don't cause an outage for my users)
> will dhcpd recognize that they're trying to speak incompatible versions of
> the failover protocol and just refuse to talk to one another?  Or could
> this result in some form of lease file corruption so I have to take both
> servers down before bringing them up on 4.1.x (causing a brief outage for
> users)?

There's no risk to the lease database.  Older versions would log very
odd looking errors, newer versions more gently explain the problem.

I usually recommend faulting the lease database with the 3.0->3.1+
upgrade (because a lot of bugs throughout development would cause
lease database inconsistency) "just to be sure," but that's up to you.