Cannot listen on the lo interface

Seraina Steiner seraina.steiner at live.com
Thu Mar 26 13:45:14 UTC 2009

Hi Simon

> It won't do it. The ISC server only supports certain types of
> interface (those supporting broadcast facilities I believe). In a
> thread that came up last week, it was suggested that if you compile
> with an option to use sockets, then you can run it on non-broadcast
> interfaces - but it then won't support local clients.

Okay. Well, I don't need broadcast anyway. The DHCP server sits behind a DHCP relay, and the communication between the DHCP server and relay is _always_ unicast. Furthermore, there are no "local" clients behind the relay, so my DHCPD doesn't need to understand broadcast at all.

So source code hacking would be an option, I think...

> Try addressing it by it's IP address ?

Yes, that was my first idea. Unfortunately, the operation system (Debian GNU/Linux) still routes the request to the lo interface. I also added a route that says each packet to the server's own IP address should go to eth0, but this does not work either.

When I sniff network traffic using tcpdump I see the packets on lo, but nothing on eth0.

What would you recommend?

Thank you
Seraina Steiner