Update procedure

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue Mar 24 03:39:00 UTC 2009

>Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 07:25:16 +0400
>Subject: Update procedure
>From: Abu Abdulla alhanbali <montaqa at gmail.com>
>To: dhcp-users at lists.isc.org
>
> Hi,
>
> I have two servers in failover mode. Both of them are running Solaris 10
> with isc dhcp v3.1.0
> I'm planning to upgrade the Hardware and the isc to v3.1.2
>
> I'm putting here what i will do. I appreciate your feedback and comments if
> what I'm doing is correct or not
>
> - shutdown the secondary server.
> - copy the lease file to the new secondary server.
> - run the secondary server and leave if for some time (1 day)
> - shutdown the primary server.
> - copy the lease file to the new primary server and start it.
>
> the hardware will have the same IPs of the previous one. I'm only shifting
> cables.
>
> I appreciate your comments

Hi Abu

Yes that should work quite well.

It is probably only necessary to wait a few minutes until the secondary
server has synchronised with the primary before updating the primary.
The reason for this is that different versions are not guaranteed to
inter-operate as far as failover goes.

If you tail -f the syslog file you can see when the secondary has
completed its synchronisation with the primary.

regards,
-glenn