dissecting DHCP - Q3

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Mar 18 05:28:55 UTC 2009

Ok, it's slightly more complicated than that. :)

Have a look at the dhcpd.conf man page and scroll down to the sections
titled "DHCP FAILOVER", "FAILOVER STARTUP" and "The mclt statement".

With failover, a server is allowed to hand out a lease of up to mclt
seconds without contacting the other failover peer. So, the dhcp server
hands out an initial lease of mclt seconds. Then the client communicates
this to the partner. This allows the server to respond quickly to the
initial request without waiting for the failover peer to respond. When
the client renews this short lease, if the server has communicated with
the peer, it hands out a lease of default length.

regards,
-glenn