use og ping-check

Staffan.Ungsgard at teliasonera.com Staffan.Ungsgard at teliasonera.com
Tue Mar 17 11:57:56 UTC 2009

Does the ISC Dhcp server Windows Vista work together regarding to "ping" ?

This is a snippet from Microsoft regarding Windows Vista and ping:

"After you assign or change an IP address on a Windows Vista-based computer, the system searches the network for a computer that is already using this IP address. If the search reveals no computer that is already using this IP address, the IP address is officially assigned to the Windows Vista-based computer. The problem that is described in the "Symptoms" section occurs if another computer sends a ping message to the new IP address before the system finishes the search process. The system was not designed to be pinged while it is searching for a new IP address. "

Full info here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948363

Can the DHCP-server ping makes Vista nack the lease because it thinks someone else has the address ?

-- Staffan Ungsgard

Staffan Ungsgård
Senior Architect

TeliaSonera AB
Broadband Services, Product Management, TV & Home Services
Vitsandsgatan 9
123 86 Farsta, Sweden

Mobile +46-70-232-8550, Phone +46-8-504-62485
Email: staffan.ungsgard at teliasonera.com