DHCPv6 host-identifier, the Never Ending Thread: A Summary

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Tue Mar 10 01:10:50 UTC 2009

John Jason Brzozowski wrote:
> Frank, et al,
>
> I planned on participating in the 160+ email thread but got tied up.
>
> For what it is worth as someone leading a large IPv6 effort where, as
> you stated below, MAC addresses are leveraged extensively I can tell you
> how I handled this issue.

Glad to hear from someone else with the same problem =)

> When we specified the use of DHCPv6 in DOCSIS 3.0 we of course leveraged
> vendor information options.  In these options as you will see if you
> read the DOCSIS specifications we made provisions to carry the MAC
> address of the device that adheres to this specification.  This is one
> part of the equation.  I also had to make sure that the necessary back
> office systems, DHCP for example, account for the presence of these
> options to support the deployment.

This looks pretty similar to what we're trying to enable here.  If I'm reading
the DOCSIS specs right, the option there assumes ethernet, so doesn't include
provisions for a link type or length, though, so it would make more sense to
define a new option for this.

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken