host-identifier with IPv6

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Wed Mar 4 22:35:58 UTC 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 3:23 PM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> And please explain WHAT the registrar is going to enter in his
> database ?

First, remember the context - we're talking about registering a
student's machine.   The way I would implement this would be to have
the student turn on their machine and bring up a browser, which would
bring them to the captive network registration page.   They'd type in
their name, and indicate whether the machine was new, or just
reinstalled.   The database would record this information.   The
student would then go down to the registrar's office and present ID.
The registrar would check the ID, key in the student's name, and
verify that the student was registering the particular machine that
came up on screen.   Upon verification, the machine's DUID would wind
up in your database.

You'd use a different process for school-owned machines, of course,
but it would be similar - it's just that as an adminstrator, you'd be
trusted in the same way the registrar was trusted, so you wouldn't
have to go to the registrar to complete the transaction.