host-identifier with IPv6

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Wed Mar 4 12:25:16 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 17:45 -0700, Ted Lemon wrote:
> Okay, so can you clarify for me please why it's the case that when you
> have a multi-homed machine, it's a problem that it only reports one of
> its mac addresses in the DUID?   Why is one not sufficient?   Why do
> you need the other?   I'm not telling you you don't need it - I'm just
> asking why.

	Where I work, we no longer require registration of wireless
	interfaces -- it was too much trouble.  We offer a correspondingly
	limited service on 802.11 networks.  On wired networks, we deal
	only with 'known' interfaces, and so require registration.

	So, for us, the two interfaces are not administratively equivalent.

	Medium term, we expect that 802.1x will deal with the
	administrative issues.  Until that infrastructure is all in place,
	not having the 'right' MAC address presented in the DHCP request
	(whether in the DUID or elsewhere).

	Niall O'Reilly
	University College Dublin IT Services