host-identifier with IPv6

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Wed Mar 4 11:44:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 20:39 -0700, Ted Lemon wrote:
> One of the motivating factors behind the current DUID language was
> that we do in fact have a serious problem with Mac addresses not being
> unique to machines.   As the maintainer of the ISC server, and as one
> of the authors of the Nominum server, we have encountered real
> customers for whom this need was very real.

	It seems to me that that's an argument for allowing optional
	behaviour to meet operational needs rather than for specifying
	the protocol so rigidly that finding how to use DHCP to meet
	those needs becomes (or appears to be) a significant challenge.

> And again, we are aware of your problem - the need to tie a unique
> identifier to a specific machine.   The DUID does solve that
> problem.

	I'm still having difficulty understanding how an identifier
	which (a) may be junk, (b) can't be reverse-mapped (as it may
	change with the next boot or rebuild), and (c) can't be
	captured before the machine is unpacked and brought to life
	solves any operational (as distinct from abstract) problem.

> Depending on your present circumstances, using the DUID may
> require you to write some additional glue code in your business logic,
> but you can make it work.   The debate here is not over whether or not
> you can make it work, but whether you should have to.

	Hmm, perhaps it's time for me to sign up to the dhcwg mailing
	list [hint for others] and try get involved in drafting some
	kind of operational document ...

	Niall O'Reilly
	University College Dublin IT Services