host-identifier with IPv6

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Wed Mar 4 03:13:15 UTC 2009

You've just pointed one of the problems of the standards development process
-- standards are written that don't match operational specifics, and so
those who actually *do* the work are trying to force-fit the tools they have
to solve real needs.  Vendors are stuck somewhere in-between -- meeting the
real (revenue-generating) needs of their customers while stating that they
support standards (which may fall short of fully serving their customers).

Rather than trying to defend the RFCs (or point to the status quo) and
minimize the processes that network admins use with IPv4 today, perhaps Ted
can use his standards process and and software development knowledge to
write a draft that addresses the problems that network admins in this forum
are facing.  I'm sure those participating in this thread would be glad to
add their comments.

Frank