host-identifier with IPv6

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Wed Mar 4 01:27:23 UTC 2009

Man, would you look at the size of this thread?  I think you set
a record for dhcp-users, Glen.  It's gotten to the point that I
don't think anyone can walk away from this with any sense of its
conclusions.  If you all agree, or if you think the discussion is
getting a might circular, I'd like to ask you to make any final
arguments you'd like for posterity, and walk away for a week or
so, just so people don't start unsubscribing to escape :p.

Any operator who has ever built a network, I don't care if it's
academic, government, or commercial, has had a discussion like this
with their vendor at some point.  Me, hundreds of times, because I'm
just that kind of guy.

The debate is fundamentally wether to take a hammer to the network so
it fits a product, or to take a hammer to the product so it fits a
network.

We're not going to solve that debate here, I can't cure the world's
vendors (yet), but I'll tell you which side I've always defaulted on;
take the hammer to the product.  Usually the shape of the network just
can't be helped.

I think Glen asked somewhere in here how long it'll take to see some
tools in the release, and I don't know where to start answering that
question.

I was thinking this would just be a quiet little thing when I said
I'd thought about extending host matching tools for mac address, the
kind of thing I could slip inbetween other sleeper projects, but given
a three-pages-of-my-mail-reader-deep-thread, I think I have to leave
the question of our approach up to our program management.  I think I
will have quite an exhaustive source of background reading for them.

But I think it can safely be said that ISC is concerned if the upgrade
from IPv4 to IPv6 doesn't include feature parity.  As for specific
solutions and timelines, I don't want to speak out of place.

Next, I want to see what Frank comes up with; I think he has enough
ammunition in the back-and-forth of ideas now to "design team" this
for us.