host-identifier with IPv6

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Tue Mar 3 03:06:32 UTC 2009

Sten Carlsen wrote:

> Sounds reasonable to me, it will also solve the cases where cloning
> systems might yield multiple PCs with the same DUID but different
> mac-addresses(I know, should not happen, but could it?), depending where
> it is kept.

Hm...  I would imagine that it would depend on the cloning process.  For a
full bit for bit copy, that would inevitably lead to a cloned DUID.  I would
hope that, at least in the Windows sysprep process, the existing DUID (which
appears to be stored in the registry) would be wiped, and a new one generated
at next boot.

Either way, sounds like something that needs to be tested in the lab before
extensive deployment =)

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken