host-identifier with IPv6

Eustace, Glen G.Eustace at massey.ac.nz
Tue Mar 3 00:41:16 UTC 2009

> We don't do the static lease thing - we have a really fast
> back-end database, so it's no skin off our nose to allocate "fixed
> addresses" dynamically

We have a number of reasons why we need static leases for some (not all) but it is the some I am trying to find a solution for. In fact the majority will work just fine with dynamic and DDNS.  The most obvious one that comes to mind is ensuring that the rules entered in our Checkpoint Firewalls stay correct.  The rules have an IP address either v4 or v6.  It is possible to use dns names but there is a significant performance hit so we opted not to go that way.

Going back to an earlier line of discussion I am surprised that number of clients has been chosen to determine the 'majority'.  The number of clients seems to be irrelevant as the 'server' is likely to have an identical or at least very similar policy for all its clients.  On the other hand, there are lots of servers that are going to have different policies or behaviour based on the sort of client not the number of them.  In our case, we have student laboratories where the computers are re-imaged for very valid reasons not simply OS upgrades etc.  If one looks at adopters to date, the academic sector would appear to be the majority not ISPs.