host-identifier with IPv6

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Mon Mar 2 22:55:52 UTC 2009

On Mar 2, 2009, at 3:48 PM, David W. Hankins wrote:
> How does Nominum solve this problem without contravening RFC 3315's
> MUST NOT on the subject of digesting DUID subcontents?

I already explained that.   The MUST NOT is with respect to the DHCP
servers's behavior in the DHCP protocol.   When you're doing something
that is not part of the protocol (e.g., making decisions about what
options to send to the client that are not based on requirements in
the spec) you can do whatever you want.

This is why for example I get all allergic to people trying to use
identifiers other than those specified in the RFCs in DHCPv4, but felt
totally free to use other identifiers for classifying clients when I
originally implemented client classing in the ISC DHCP server.