host statement...

E Johnson ej.isc at indicium.org
Mon Mar 2 20:04:13 UTC 2009

Thank you for the explanation and forgive my slowness in understanding...

So then, the "nas001" part of the statement can be pretty much whatever
I want to call it?  ...and the MAC is the part that does the actual
identifying in the example below?

Thanks,
Eric

Eustace, Glen wrote:
 >> # NAS device
 >> host nas001 {
 >>     hardware ethernet 00:08:54:d7:5d:75;
 >>     fixed-address 192.168.2.50;
 >>     }
 >>
 >> ...the "nas001" would be considered the "uid"?
 >>
 >> If this is so, I understand why I am confused because when setting
 >> up the devices they are all calling it a "host" name.
 >
 > As I was the one who posted the example, I'll try to explain it.
 > We are not using the option host-name in the declaration as a
selector.  It is there to be sent back to the client in the outbound
response.  As we are a university, you might be surprised at what some
students/staff have set as their 'host-name' to (or maybe you wouldn't
:-)), anyway, this was my attempt to override the name so that machines
got joined to the domain with appropriate names etc.

 > The selector in the host declarations is the MAC address. i.e.
hardware Ethernet.