host-identifier with IPv6

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Sun Mar 1 23:44:34 UTC 2009

On Mar 1, 2009, at 2:51 PM, Eustace, Glen wrote:
> So unless I have a means to extract out and allocate the address
> based on the MAC, I am stuffed :-(

My point is that you have the database of macs, and you have an
identifier that contains the mac.   So there is no reason at all why
you shouldn't be able to link those two together, while still
following the protocol.   Since the Mac address of the client is
stable, despite the fact that there *could* be two DUIDs containing
the same Mac address, there won't be.   So if you do a database lookup
based on the extracted Mac, and use it in the address allocation
decision, but retain the full identifier for disambiguation, you get
what you want - control based on Mac address - without violating the
protocol.