Failover concept clarification

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Wed Jun 17 17:18:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 04:15:04PM +0530, pat wrote:
>   I was performing a failover test in lab with loadbalance split 128, as one
> of the test case i made one of the partner/ peer state down and started to
> acquire lease using the tool, i found after leasing out half of the pool an
> error message thrown as peer hold all free leases, but when i went through
> the dhcpd manual it says when the partner is down the active one will hold
> all the lease in the pool and will not loadbalance.

The Start Time of Service upon entering the partner-down state is used
as a reference for the last time the partner server was potentially
capable of transmitting a reply to any DHCP client.

So as a safety catch to eliminate potential duplicate allocations, the
server will not allocate a lease its peer may have until STOS+MCLT
expires.