slow dhcp on 1G backbone.

Tim Peiffer peiffer at UMN.EDU
Fri Jul 24 02:54:32 UTC 2009

I echo what Brad is saying..  <OT> 1Gbps requires all 4 pairs.  If not
all 4 pairs are available due to split pairs or other failures on pairs
3&4, you will see that even though connected to 1Gbps port the device
autonegotiates slowly back down to 100Mbps..  In buildings where wiring
wasn't complete, we conviced our switch vendor to put in commands to
limit range of auto-negotiation.    In buildings where we could not
guarantee all 4 pairs we remove 1Gbps from collection of
auto-negotiation as a configuration option.

In practice, 1Gbps auto-negotiation takes less than 1msec, transport
1-2msec at the outside if attached via fiber to the enterprise backbone,
and about 20msec to discover, offer, request, ack the lease.  When we
had auto-negotiation problems, that would take seconds to minutes to
resolve or timeout  (as opposed to a few msec in a correctly functioning
network).

Regards,
Tim Peiffer