Instability?

Alex Moen alexm at ndtel.com
Sat Jul 18 14:56:54 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I have a fairly complex server running, version 4.1.0 on Solaris 10 (I
know, 4.1.1 is out, but I didn't see anything in the release notes
about this problem).  Each of the 40-some config files is allowing
clients based on VCI and vlan.  There are many requests that are
denied because the VCI does not match, which is very much expected, so
there are many "No free leases" entries in the log file.  This
situation arises because this server is serving the networks for our
IPTV set top boxes, and we only allow set top boxes to get an address
and deny all other devices (such as firewalls, PC's, etc.)  However,
customers still plug devices into the video-only ethernet ports on the
DSL modems and FTTP ONT's thinking that they can use these ports for
Internet access.

I have noticed that the DHCP process becomes unpredictably
unresponsive (is that proper grammer????).  I do not know if it is
because of the number of denies.  I do know that during one of these
unresponsive spells, tcpdump shows dhcp packets arriving at the
server, but no responses leaving the server, and no log entries
signifying the receipt of the requests by the DHCP process.  The
server itself is still responsive, and not by any means locked up,
it's just like the DHCP process takes a nap.  "ps -ef" shows that the
process is still running.

I have checked other things, like disk space (not by any means full),
processor load, memory availability, etc. Everything seems fine, and a
restart of the process fires the server back up and it performs just
fine.  It is not a busy server by any means, I have other DHCP servers
running that are way busier (on similar hardware) that don't have a
problem, but also do not deal with nearly as many denies.

What is the best way to troubleshoot this?

Thanks for any ideas,

Alex