How to Run DHCP Relay and Server on the same box.

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Jul 4 10:10:06 UTC 2009

GAURAV HALWASIA wrote:

>I have installed ISC DHCP on my linux box. Is it possible to make
>make it act like as both DHCP Relay and Server at the same time on
>the same box.
>
>I want the DHCPDISCOVER to first get processed by Relay and then
>Relay should forward (after adding option 82) the same to DHCP
>server residing on the same box.

The only way I can think of would be to install two extra network
ports. One will connect to the client network, two will connect to a
separate network (either use a crossover cable or a switch - but it
MUST be separate from the client network). Not sure if you could do
this with a bridging and virtual interfaces instead of real ports.

Bind the relay agent to the client network and one of the other
ports, bind the server to the remaining port.
--
Simon Hobson