ISC DHCP server offers fixed IP addresses to ANY device!

Frode Nordahl frode at nordahl.net
Thu Jan 29 09:21:53 UTC 2009

On 31. des.. 2008, at 21.24, David W. Hankins wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 01:31:43PM -0600, Foggi, Nicola wrote:
>> We have a recurring problem with reserved leases, and i'm no coder,
>> but i had one of our guys take a look at it and we narrowed it down
>> to this:
>>
>> mdb.c - line 1054 - the case FTS_FREE and FTS_BACKUP
>>
>> were causing:
>>
>> "Lease with binding state free not on its queue"
>> "Lease with binding state backup not on its queue"
>
> I thought we already committed a fix for this.  A silly oversight in
> one of those matrices, like you say.  I'll have a look to make sure
> it's fixed in current maint branches.

We are about to start using the reserved lease functionality, and
bumped into this issue. I did not find any public CVS or patches for
this online, so I wrote my own while waiting. :-)

It stops the server from crashing, but I am not sure if it's a correct
fix. Could you have a look at the attached patch?  (I have not tested
it in a Failover enviroment yet).

Is the next maint release far away?

We are setting the reserved flag through OMAPI by sending flags with a
char (1 byte) value set to 0x04. The support for this seems to be a
bit undocumented at the moment, will we get burned in the future for
doing this? :-)

I think the addition of the reserved lease feature to ISC DHCP is a
great thing! It makes the server more flexible, gives us less
management headache, and our customers get a better service. We plan
to use this to have dynamic and static allocation from the same pool.

--
Frode Nordahl