Multi-server pool question.

Phill Harvey-Smith phill at bio.warwick.ac.uk
Mon Feb 16 09:24:59 UTC 2009

Simon Hobson wrote:
> Phill Harvey-Smith wrote:
>> Is there a way that I can resolve this issue, bu configuring the
>> servers to share pool information, or will I have to reserve
>> allocation of the pool addresses to only one of the servers but let
>> the others also manage the statically assigned ones.
>
> Three options come to mind :
>
> 2) Run two (and only two) servers as a failover pair. Both servers can
> issue addresses from the pool, but they will communicate with each other
> to avoid conflicts. If one fails, the other can run the whole pool.

In this case I take it that we can still have more than 3 servers as
long as only 2 of them are setup for failover, and only the failover
servers serve the pool.

This might not be an issue if I can get dhrelay going.

> Also, note that you must NOT have any statically assigned address (via
> host statement) that is also in a dynamic pool..

Yep, this is handled by the php code and the database, which has a flag
for dynamic or static, and will only write out static hosts if marked
static.

Cheers.

Phill.

--
Phill Harvey-Smith, Computer Technician,
Department of Biological Sciences, Warwick University.