dhcp 3.0.1 as shipped with CentOS 4.7 seems to not send 'root-path'

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Thu Feb 12 13:01:38 UTC 2009

>Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 22:04:19 -0500
>From: Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>
>Subject: dhcp 3.0.1 as shipped with CentOS 4.7 seems to not send 'root-path'
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>
>I am in the process of setting up a network of diskless clients with NFS
>mounted root file systems.  I have determined that somehow the root-path
>option value is not being sent by my dhcp daemon.  I am running CentOS
>4.7, which has dhcp 3.0.1 installed.  Is this a known problem?  Or is it
>something specific to the CentOS / RHEL package build?
>
>My dhcpd.conf has this as an host section:
>
>        host smeagol {
>                hardware ethernet 00:40:ca:80:db:a9;
>                fixed-address 192.168.250.125;
>                option root-path "sauron.deepsoft.com:/nfsroot";
>                option host-name "smeagol.deepsoft.com";
>                filename "/pxelinux.0";
>                next-server sauron.deepsoft.com;
>        }

Hi Robert

The server only sends the option if the client requests it. And the
client has to do something sensible with the reply.

Suggest using your favourite network sniffer (tcpdump/snoop/wireshark,
etc) to have a look at what is being requested and sent.

3.0.1 is truly ancient, circa 2003/2004, but this is pretty simple
stuff, so it's not likely to be the version that's the problem.

regards,
-glenn