Question about the code...

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Feb 6 21:01:34 UTC 2009

At Fri,  6 Feb 2009 20:00:37 +0000 (UTC) Users of ISC DHCP <dhcp-users at lists.isc.org> wrote:

> The C specification mandates that global variables that are not
> explicitly initialized are set to 0 at program startup (before main is
> called).  This is safe and legal, although it may be a little
> off-putting to the uninitiated.

Hmm... I guess I come from a very 'old school' (way back when in the
days of FORTRAN, K&R C, etc.), where it was a no-no to not explicitly
initialize variables (generally random bad things would happen).  I
guess it might be a bit 'anal' to always explicitly initialize global
variables, but if nothing else it at least documents their initial
values clearly.  I suspect that I might have worked with early C
run-time environments that did not follow this spec (like the early
pre-ANSI C compilers available under CP/M-68K, OS9/68K, and SunOS 3.x),
so I learned NOT to trust that global variables would be implicitly
initialzed to anything in partitular.