dhcp not updating dns server

Barry Finkel b19141 at anl.gov
Mon Dec 14 16:14:14 UTC 2009

James Dinkel <jdinkel at gmail.com> wrote:

>I know the primary dns server will update the secondaries, but my
>concern is that the primary will be down, so nothing gets updated.  It
>would be pretty simple logic to try a series of dns servers and quit
>after the first successful attempt.  Anyway, I took out the secondary
>statement and tcpdump still doesn't show any traffice from the dhcp
>server to the dns server.

If the primary DNS server is down, it makes no sense to send DDNS
updates to a slave server.  There are two cases:

1) The slave server is not configured to forward the requests to the
    master server, so the requests get ignored.

2) The slave server is configured to forward the requests to the
   master server, but the master server is down.  So the slave server
   ignores the request because it has no mechanism to queue the
   request for the master server.

Barry S. Finkel
Building 240, Room 5.B.8             Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov