dhcp 3.0.5 crashes with lots of lease imbalance messages

K. K. Tam k.k.tam at ust.hk
Fri Dec 11 08:59:50 UTC 2009

Hi,

Our site is running dhcp 3.0.5 in failover and the primary and secondary
servers are with CentOS 4.
The service has been very stable since its rollout in 2007.  A few
months ago, we have set up a few
IP pools with relatively short lease time from 15 minutes to 30
minutes.  Then the dhcpd in the
primary server would crash from time to time with lots of "lease
imbalances - lts" messages as
below.

Dec 11 01:33:55 <hostname> dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 23
Dec 11 01:33:55 <hostname> dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 17
Dec 11 01:33:55 <hostname> dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 3

The number of these messages ranges from 800 to 1000 before the daemon
crashes.  It is observed
that crash happens as the usage in these pools increases.  The MCLT in
our set up is 1800.  Our
current workaround is to extend the lease time of these pools to 30
minutes and 2 hours with
the trade off of IP usage.  The situation improves a bit but still has
crashes from time to time.
The worst case we had before extending some to 2 hours lease time was
crashes around every 5 to
10 minutes for the whole afternoon till the usage slowed down.  We have
about 12000 available
IPs and the active usage is around 60%.

I have searched the archive of the mailing list and the problem happened
for some previous version
yet there was no concrete solution.  I wonder if anyone can provide some
suggestions or solutions for
this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,