Log Addresses handed out

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Dec 9 13:05:51 UTC 2009

> Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 07:24:12 -0500
> From: "James Jalbert" <jjalbert at rsu39.org>
>
> Is there a way to get a log as to when the last time a fixed
> address was handed  out. The dhcp-server we were setup on
> before, was managed through another company, and was web based,
> so you could see the last time a machine requested it ip
> address. Now we are running our own server, and would like to be
> able to see when a machine last requested it's ip address. Any
> thoughts?

Look in the syslog output. You may need to set up a specific log file
for dhcp using the log-facility statement in dhcpd.conf, and
corresponding setup in /etc/syslog.conf

% grep local /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf
log-facility local7;

% grep local /etc/syslog.conf
local7.debug                                    /var/log/dhcp/dhcpd.log

which gives log entries that look like this:

Dec  9 23:29:30 drill dhcpd: [ID 702911 local7.info] DHCPREQUEST for
192.168.14.21 from 00:1b:11:18:b9:d2 via hme0
Dec  9 23:29:30 drill dhcpd: [ID 702911 local7.info] DHCPACK on 192.168.14.21 to
00:1b:11:18:b9:d2 via hme0

Alternatively try webmin which has a dhcpd capability.

regards,
-glenn