ISC DHCP 4.2.0a1 is now available

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Mon Dec 7 23:28:55 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 06:11:30PM -0800, Shawn Routhier wrote:
> This is the FIRST ALPHA of ISC DHCP 4.2.0.  It contains a number of
> fixes and features.  The major feature is changing the dynamic DNS
> code to process the transactions in an asynchronous fashion.

This feature is brought to you by Shawn Routhier on DHCP's side and
the new libdns library packaged in bind9 (thanks to Jinmei Tatuya).

We are not worthy.

> The new DDNS code makes use of several BIND libraries.  The tarball
> includes an appropriate version of BIND and the libraries will be
> compiled as part of the standard ./configure and make process.  gmake
> is required to build the BIND libraries.

I'd like to take a moment to solicit feedback from folks on this.
Right now we always statically link to the bind export libraries from
the bind tarball we include in the package, but we'd like to link to
the export libraries installed from bind9 separately.

Bind9 doesn't currently install the export libraries automatically,
and there aren't a lot of other applications that use them...

Although right now the DHCP software has gotten a bit bigger because
of including these libraries, this is an opportunity for us to grow
smaller in aggregate by sharing more code between the two software
packages.

So I'd like to know what folks (especially folks who integrate our
software) think of the current setup on bind9's side
(bind9-etc/lib/export/), and what would be easiset/most useful for us
to do on DHCP's ./configure side for finding (and version checking)
the pre-installed libraries.

--
David W. Hankins	BIND 10 needs more DHCP voices.
Software Engineer		There just aren't enough in our heads.