split scoping

Ausmus, Matt mausmus at chapman.edu
Thu Dec 3 20:02:34 UTC 2009

Thanks to all that replied.  Your comments have been greatly appreciated and are helping us to make the decision we need to make.  Here's a little more information.

We have a single ISC DHCP server handling our entire dorms.  This was not by design but more as a stop gap measure.  We've decided to keep the single location for DHCP and implement fault tolerance into the solution.  We have enough free IP space to do split scoping but as I thought more about it I think we're going to go the ISC failover route.  Someone brought up the point that users could change IPs more often and in the middle of a session if the client goes out to renew and finds the alternate DHCP server first.  Their machine would change IPs.  This would cause links to go down during the duration and if the students are downloading files, watching video, or playing online games (yes, we do have to take this into account), their connection would drop.  The failover solution, while more complex in its operation if not in its configuration, would eliminate this issue.  The servers will be in the same location for the most part eliminating the issue that David brought up.

We plan on testing the failover solution in our building before rolling it out to the dorms and if the results are what we expect we may end up rolling this out to more buildings.

Matt Ausmus
Network Administrator
Chapman University
635 West Palm Street
Orange, CA  92868
(714)628-2738
mausmus at chapman.edu

"What the gods get away with, the cows don't."
-THE AQUINAS AXIOM