Problems with DHCP using VLANs

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Aug 26 19:24:02 UTC 2009

sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
>  > Can I send you a beer?

Well I don't drink, but I've friends who would help :-)

>  > That was it. . . I never saw anyother reference to /etc/default
>>  anywhere I looked, I had no idea there was a dhcpd config file there.
>>  Apparently it overrides /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf and DOES NOT SHOW UP IN
>>  LOCATE :-(
>
>And please note that this is not the fault of ISC dhcpd but the people
>who have chosen the Debian defaults...

Actually, /etc/default/dhcpd3-server does NOT override
/etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf. It provides command line options for the
startup script in /etc/init.d to pass to the server.

You either need a config file (and /etc/default is standard on Debian
based systems) or you end up hacking the startup scripts to set
options.

--
Simon Hobson