dhcp6 error message

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Fri Aug 14 17:23:59 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 01:50:41PM +1200, Eustace, Glen wrote:
> I am getting the following error in the log (dhcpd is running with -d switch)
>
> Request message from fe80::702b:def7:695e:7079 port 546, transaction ID 0xD4459800
> Sending Reply to fe80::702b:def7:695e:7079 port 546
> Unable to convert dhcp6.fqdn domain name to printable form.

the DNS format converter is failing with an error.  this suggests the
wire format of the packet we're receiving is bogus.  if the client is
ISC dhclient, it may be client config related.  if it isn't, could you
send client details and a server-side pcap to dhcp-bugs@?

> The DDNS updates do not appear to be occurring either, don't seem to see any error that I can find.
> NB: Our IPv4 DDNS is working fine and I am using the same config for IPv6.

yes, the ddns configuration is the same.