Dual DNS server farms in dhcpd.conf

John Tabasz (jtabasz) jtabasz at cisco.com
Mon Apr 27 22:23:09 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I have a situation where I want to use dhcpd.conf to serve up addresses
that are statically assigned. I have previously used the following to do
this:

shared-network TEST  {

subnet 192.168.200.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
option routers 192.168.200.1;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
  option domain-name-servers 10.1.1.25,10.1.2.25,10.1.3.25;
  option domain-name "mydomain.com";
deny unknown-clients;
}

  host dev5c.mydomain.com                           {
   hardware ethernet              0:3:ba:11:b1:75;
   fixed-address                   192.168.200.165;
   option host-name                       "dev5c";
  }

}

This worked fine until a new requirement came up that the PCs on the
network and the Unix workstations on the same subnet should receive a
different set of DNS server IP addresses.

I wrote a couple of perl scripts that take the host info and massage it
into the dhcpd.conf file. One way of getting what I want is to add logic
into the scripts that examine the hostname and if the name indicates
that the device is a PC, add the correct DNS server info into the host
declaration. This rather than using the shared-network global command to
set the DNS servers for the whole subnet.

Is there a DHCP option that returns the kernel that the client is
running? If so, is there a way to use this info to manipulate the DNS
entries?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

John