using dhcpd with mysql

Dmitry Cherkasov doctorchd at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 13:25:46 UTC 2008

Hello everybody.

I am sure this topic was discussed a lot of times, yet I didn't find
satisfying information in ISC DHCP docs or internet.

I'm looking for a solution to tie dhcpd with external database, e.g.
MySQL. What I need is the following:

1) keeping per host (and probably other) information in external DB so
that dhcpd queries it when serving requests
2) storing lease information in external DB

Certainly, some tasks may be fulfilled with OMAPI and parsing
dhcpd.leases, but it does not seem to be flexible enough.
So the question is how it may be possible to implement dhcpd
interaction with external SQL database?

P.S. I'm obviously not the first to look for such solution, there are
for example http://users.accesscomm.ca/docsis_server/ ,
http://www.anemon.org/wiki/ .
Also there are DHCP implementations when server generates accounting
using some AAA protocol like RADIUS (e.g.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2sr/12_2srb/feature/guide/ipradacc.html).

--
Dmitry Cherkasov