Abandoning abandoned leases??

John Hascall john at iastate.edu
Thu Sep 11 12:37:39 UTC 2008

Well, I guess I'll answer my own question.

In abandon_lease() in the file server/mdb.c we find the artfully
commented line:

	lt -> ends = cur_time; /* XXX */

which means that when dhcpd reads this lease when it restarts
it is guaranteed to be time for a state change so it goes
from binding_state ABANDONED to next_binding_state FREE.

As a quick test I added:

	lt -> ends += 86400;

and sure enough, my abandoned leases are still there though
(so far) 22.5 hours worth of restarts.

John