dhcp with two relay agents

fadey fadey at scancom.es
Wed Oct 29 10:59:35 UTC 2008

Hi,everyone

I guess it is a common issue, however I couldn't find any solution
searching this list.

I have two networks behind two routers (please, see diagram image
attached). I'd like to use the same dhcp server for both of those
networks. Right now I've configured two separate network cards on my
dhcp machine and in dhcpd.conf I have two separate shared-networks for
each card:

shared-network eth1 {
  subnet actual.subnet.behind.router1 {...}
  subnet that.is.on.networkcard1 {...}
}

shared-network eth2 {
  subnet actual.subnet.behind.router2 {...}
  subnet that.is.on.networkcard2 {...}
}

This is the only way I've managed to configure the system so that the
network1 IPs are server to router1's relay agent and network2 IPs are
served to router2's relay agent.
As you can see this will not scale very well since for every additional
router in the network I'll have to add an additional network card to
dhcp server (secondary IP for existing network card won't do the trick).
I was wondering if there is another solution for this. Such as explicit
matching on giaddr field...
Thanks in advance