list reply-to has changed?

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Thu Nov 20 17:46:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:50:34PM +1100, Glenn Satchell wrote:
> One other thing I have noticed is the time between sending a message
> and receiving the return from the list. With the old mail system I
> would often see the return back in a few minutes, now there seems to be
> about an hour delay. Looking at the Received headers this appears to be
> between mx.isc.org and webster.isc.org. Maybe I was lucky and was near
> the top of the list before but now I am well down the alphabet? :)

This is something the listmasters are still tuning.  I think ecartis
would send list traffic to all recipients either all at once, or in
batches one right after the other (with no delay inbetween batches),
so it effectively went as fast as computationally possible.

It seems the default mailman behaviour is to send batches to (n)
users at a time, with a delay inbetween.  So it goes at a fixed
speed, no matter the list load.  I understand that we're now tuning
those parameters.

So this should improve over time as we get more list activity and
the ops can dial system load in.

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/