DHCP Server Configuration Problem

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon May 26 15:22:42 UTC 2008

Try the command

  man dhcpd

it gives all the options to dhcpd, so create the directory for the
leases file, then create an initial dhcpd.leases. This will get filled
in by dhcpd as it gives out IP addresses.

  sudo mkdir /var/db
  sudo touch /var/db/dhcpd.leases
  sudo /usr/local/sbin/dhcpd -cf /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf -lf
/var/db/dhcpd.leases

regards,
-glenn

>Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 15:09:33 +0000 (GMT)
>From: DÔ Phan-Cam-Thach <dophancamthach at yahoo.co.uk>
>Subject: Re: DHCP Server Configuration Problem
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>
>I have tried it, and the resultat returned is:
>"can't  open lease database /var/db/dhcpd.leases/no such file or directory"
>And in fact there is no folder whose name is db in /var.
>I have search for the file lease and it is in /usr/local/share/man/man5, but
the name is dhcpd.leases.5. I found that there is nothing important inside, just
the explaination of what the file dhcpd.lease is. However, i tried this command:
>sudo /usr/local/sbin/dhcpd -lf /usr/local/share/man/man5/dhcpd.leases.5
>It return a resultat "can not open /etc/dhcpd.conf: no such file or directory"
(there is not this file in /etc).
>I have created a file named dhcpd.leases in other folder et tried the command
above. It gave the same resultat.

>DO Phan Cam Thach
>email: dophancamthach at yahoo.co.uk

start, the server. But there are nor file dhcpd.conf in /etc, neither file dhcpd
in /etc/init.d (i have talked about this in the precedent lettre). There is a
file dhcpd in /usr/local/sbin and dhcpd.conf in /usr/local/etc. i went to that
folder to use the command:

>dhcpd start/stop
>
>There was a warning "can't open /etc/dhcpd.conf/ no such file or directory"
>
>It also seems that it must have a file dhcpd.conf in /etc for apply the
configuration for the interfaces. So i have created a file whose name like that
and try to put the infos in it. All seemed to be normal till the time i tried to
enregister my modification. The system didnt accpet to enregister it.