Problem in DHCP Server no free leases Error

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue May 20 13:23:25 UTC 2008

>Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 10:27:36 +0000
>From: "Rajiv Rajaian" <rajiv.grid at gmail.com>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: Re: Problem in DHCP Server no free leases Error
>
>Hi Simon
>
>Here is my /etc/dhcpd.conf file contents

<snip>

># Configuration for an internal subnet.
>subnet 10.2.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>
>                 range dynamic-bootp 10.2.0.110 10.2.0.220;
> #option domain-name-servers 10.2.0.43;
> #option domain-name "virtualnode03.grid";
> option routers 10.2.0.40;
> option broadcast-address 10.2.0.255;
> default-lease-time 600;
> max-lease-time 7200;
>}

I'd change the range statement to

	range 10.2.0.110 10.2.0.220;

bootp leases are special, as the bootp protocol does not allow leases
to expire. You have a range of 110 ip addresses, as soon as more than
111 clients have been offered a lease there will be none left to offer
to the next client.

The recommended range statement uses dhcp leases which do expire, and
in your case this will be specified by the default- or max-lease-time.

The versions of the server and client do not mandate that you use
bootp, so removing it should be fine.

You may need to clean out your leases file, as the bootp leases in it
will not expire by themselves.

regards,
-glenn