3.0.x vs 3.1.x (was Re: ISC DHCP 3.0.7 is now available!)

Evan Hunt Evan_Hunt at isc.org
Mon May 19 19:52:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 03:33:19PM -0400, Randall C Grimshaw wrote:
> >> A memory leak when using omapi has been fixed.
>
> That is great news!! Thank you.
>
> Can I confess that I am losing track of the differences between 3.0.7
> and 3.1.1 and request the kindness of a pointer to an overview?

That's covered in the RELNOTES file in the 3.1.x release:

    Version 3.1.x of the ISC DHCP Distribution includes the following major
    new features:

      - A significantly enhanced Failover protocol implementation, which:
         - Implements MAC Address Affinity to reduce the frequency of
           clients being assigned new IP addresses;
         - Supports the assignment of failover-protected addresses to
           legacy BOOTP clients;
         - Implements a dynamic lease reservation system that provides
           improved accounting of the use of fixed address assignments,
           by allocating fixed addresses out of the pool of dynamic
           leases; and
         - Further improves tools and reduces operator oversight
           necessary for maintaining a functioning system.
      - Support for DHCP Leasequery, and the VIVCO/VIVSO options, which
         makes easy and comfortable integration with DOCSIS devices and
         the environment in which they are used.
      - Management of class and subclass statements via OMAPI.
      - Several server configuration options related to dynamic DNS
         behavior
      - Other new configuration functions, including "execute()",
        which runs a shell command from within a dhcpd or dhclient
        configuration file

Evan Hunt -- evan_hunt at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.