tuning for maximum dhcp performance

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri May 9 11:19:22 UTC 2008

>Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 07:37:02 +0100
>From: Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk>
>
>Frank Bulk - iNAME wrote:
>
>>This may be a dumb question, but why not calculate an optimal hash size at
>>the first start, update it and store it in the dhcpd.leases file while the
>>dhcpd process runs, and then read it from the dhcpd.leases file and use it
>>every time the process starts up?
>
>And recalculate it if (or rather, when) the config file changes.

The hash size is related to the number of leases, and is really only
important if you intend to have a huge number of leases. So clever
things like "at startup read count the number of leases, size the hash,
then read all the leases in" is going to be cumbersome.

I'd suggest exposing the hash size either as a command line parameter
for dhcpd, or making is something that configure knows about when you
build from source.

regards,
-glenn