DHCP and Dynamic DNS

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu May 8 10:20:16 UTC 2008

Roger Lestru wrote:

>We are using dhcpd and bind from ISC.  Our network is spread
>geographically, and we have a number of dns and dhcp servers.  Our
>dhcp servers are dynamically updating our bind primary server, with
>dhcp client updates, and that is working fine for the most part.
>The issue that we have, is when a wan link goes down, or when a
>remote dhcp server cannot contact the primary dns server, then the
>dns update fails.
>
>I'm wondering if there is a way around this with dhcpd?  Is it
>possible to queue the dns update, or something similar?

No, there are no facilities to deal with this.

The only way I could think of doing it would be to make sure that the
primary for any zone is on the same network as the DHCP server(s)
that update it - that way at least the primary could get updated and
slaves would follow when the link was back up.

Failing that, for adding records related to a new lease, the server
will retry next time the client renews.